: to soothe or mollify especially by concessions : appease.
What is an example of placate?
Placate is defined as to soothe someone who is angry or upset by making concessions. Buying a crying baby a stuffed animal at a store is an example of placate. … To allay the anger of, especially by making concessions; appease.
What does it mean to appease someone?
transitive verb. 1 : pacify, conciliate especially : to make concessions to (someone, such as an aggressor or a critic) often at the sacrifice of principles appeased the dictator by accepting his demands Placaters, who try hard to appease others so as to keep the peace, fear getting hurt in some way. —
What is the meaning of Placation?
Definitions of placation. the act of placating and overcoming distrust and animosity. synonyms: conciliation, propitiation. type of: appeasement, calming. the act of appeasing (as by acceding to the demands of)
How do you remember the word placate?
Mnemonics (Memory Aids) for placate
place + ate >>> when u give some1 place to eat, u will certainly gain his/her good will….
What is the synonym of placate?
Some common synonyms of placate are appease, conciliate, mollify, pacify, and propitiate.
How do you use proclivity in a sentence?
Proclivity Sentence Examples
- I prefer to work with people that have a proclivity to be efficient and reliable.
- Anna was very worried about her son going to kindergarten because he has a proclivity to misbehave.
- The book concludes in a way that hardly matches my own political proclivity.
What do you call a person that gets angry easily?
1. Irritable, testy, touchy, irascible are adjectives meaning easily upset, offended, or angered. Irritable means easily annoyed or bothered, and it implies cross and snappish behavior: an irritable clerk, rude and hostile; Impatient and irritable, he was constantly complaining.
What is the word for trying to please someone?
Appease, conciliate, propitiate imply trying to preserve or obtain peace.
What’s the difference between please and appease?
As verbs the difference between appease and please
is that appease is to make quiet; to calm; to reduce to a state of peace; to dispel (anger or hatred) while please is to make happy or satisfy; to give pleasure.
What is personal animosity?
Animosity is a strong feeling of dislike and anger. Animosities are feelings of this kind.
What is a mercenary person?
Definition of mercenary
(Entry 1 of 2) : one that serves merely for wages especially : a soldier hired into foreign service mercenaries who guaranteed the success of the rebellion — B. F. Reilly. mercenary.
Why is placating bad?
Studies show that placaters have difficulties expressing anger and hold so many feelings in they often become depressed. … If your spouse if a placater, try to recognize these actions so you can help them express their feelings when they are holding back.
How do you memorize Quixotics?
Mnemonics (Memory Aids) for quixotic
quixotic== quick + exotic, if you desire something exotic to happen quickly in your life it is just a daydream.
How do you memorize assuages?
- Mnemonic – Big ass usage: To make milder the pain of sitting on a rough surface.
- Word – assuage.
- Meaning – To make milder.
- Part of Speech – verb.
- Synonyms – lessen, alleviate.
- Antonyms – make severe, upset, exacerbate.
How do you remember the word polemic?
Mnemonics (Memory Aids) for polemic
(Language used Hindi) pole+mic- (In hindi) ek dusre ki pole kholna. jab ek dusre ki pole khol te hai to argumentation,debare and defence hota hai.