Two verses that can be used while praying the labyrinth are, “You show me the path of life. In your presence there is fullness of joy.” (Psalm 16:11) and Jesus’ words, “I am the way, the truth and the life…” (John 14:16). … It is conservatively estimated that there are over 5,000 labyrinths in the United States alone.
What is the purpose of a prayer labyrinth?
In a labyrinth there is a clear path in and out. The labyrinth will assist students and campus visitors in Christian meditation and prayer. In the Middle Ages the labyrinths were used as a way for people to participate in a pilgrimage without the expense or time required in actually going to another place.
What do labyrinth mean spiritually?
A labyrinth is not a maze. It has only one path to the center and back out, which is called unicursal (one line). … The labyrinth symbolizes a journey to a predetermined destination (such as a pilgrimage to a holy site), or the journey through life from birth to spiritual awakening to death.
How do you pray in a labyrinth?
How to pray with a labyrinth
- Name your intention. Since we embark on a walking meditation in order to hear and respond to the Lord, invite God to walk with you during this prayer period. …
- Walk the path. Enter and follow the path of the labyrinth, knowing that God is with you. …
- Give thanks. …
What does labyrinth mean biblically?
Using a labyrinth involves moving one’s body and opening one’s heart to Jesus. All you have to do is follow the path and you will find the center. Unlike a maze the labyrinth has no tricks.
How do you walk through a labyrinth?
How to Use a Labyrinth
- Before entering. Consider a contemplative question, prayer, or favorite image to hold in your mind before you step into the labyrinth and begin walking.
- While walking. Just follow the path. …
- Upon reaching the center. Sit or stand with your eyes closed or looking downward.
What is a healing labyrinth?
Following the meandering path of a labyrinth is a form of moving meditation that clears mental clutter and brings balance. by Getty Images/Frank Baker. A small labyrinth, such as this seven-circuit design, is still large enough for several people to walk at once. Some people clear their heads by running.
How do you escape the labyrinth of suffering?
“The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” “Thomas Edison’s last words were “It’s very beautiful over there”. I don’t know where there is, but I believe it’s somewhere, and I hope it’s beautiful.”
What is the origin of a labyrinth?
Labyrinth is a word of pre-Greek (Minoan) origin absorbed by Classical Greek and is perhaps related to the Lydian labrys (“double-edged axe”, a symbol of royal power, which fits with the theory that the labyrinth was originally the royal Minoan palace on Crete and meant “palace of the double-axe”), with -inthos meaning …
What is a finger labyrinth?
A finger labyrinth is similar to a full sized labyrinth you would walk except it is on a much smaller and more portable scale. The user traces the path to the centre using your finger rather than with their feet. There are many different kinds of labyrinths differing in size and complexity.
How do you do centering prayer?
How to practice centering prayer
- Choose a word. This word, called a sacred word, should represent your intention to consent to God’s presence and action within you. …
- Introduce the word. Sit comfortably and with your eyes closed. …
- Settle deeply into prayer. …
- Gently conclude the time of prayer.